Log in


ILC's Logo

Below are instructions for getting to Homer located on the Kenai Peninsula in Southcentral Alaska by either driving, flying or ferry/cruise ship.


The drive distance from Anchorage to Homer is approximately 4 1/2 hours non-stop for 224 miles. Annual construction may slow drive time but, road conditions can be checked at:
Alaska 511 Know B4 U Go Page

The map below illustrates the kind of information shown at Alaska 511 Know B4 U Go's page. has an excellent guide for the drive from Anchorage to Homer, with a number of locations described in site-specific audio guides at: Page

The Milepost also has a good milepost-by-milepost information for this drive at:
The Milepost Page

A fun 1 minute video of the drive from Anchorage to Homer can be viewed on YouTube at:
Alaska Route 1 YouTube Video

Wheelchair vans are available for rent in Anchorage.


Currently, the only commercial airline flying into Homer is Ravn Alaska (partnered with Alaska Airlines for mileage plan users). Most flights to Homer are on small twin-engine propeller-driven planes; you can view the Ravn aircraft fleet at: 
Ravn Alaska

All planes to Homer will board from the tarmac, both in Anchorage & Homer. Wheelchair users will be transferred into a "narrow aisle" chair to be carried up the steps and into the airplane and seated within. For an excellent article about the use of "narrow aisle" chairs see:'s Page

Please note that power wheelchairs are not accommodated on these small planes. Contact Ravn or Alaska Air directly to discuss any options for flying to Homer if you do use a power wheelchair.


Cruise & ferry services are available both to and from Homer, as well as other ports for Alaskan destinations. We recommend checking options for ferry & cruise pricing but, the Alaska state website has options for scheduling and availability located at: 
Alaska Marine Highway System

If you are concerned about the safety of a vulnerable person you can report your concern to the Alaska Senior and Disabilities Services Centralized Reporting Unit.  These reports go to the appropriate state agency or agencies to investigate.  These include Adult Protective Services, The Long Term Care Ombudsman, Occupational Licensing and the Office of Children's Services.  Click on the link below for

Centralized Reporting

You can contribute to ILC when you shop at!  Follow the link below to set up your Amazon Smile account to support our non profit when you make purchases!

Amazon Smile

The Independent Living Center is a 501c3 non-profit organization. We need your support to maintain our efforts over such a large area!

to ILC

Log into My Alaska and Pick, Click  & Give to ILC when you apply for your PFD!


        Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software