Information & Referral

The Independent Living Center assists individuals and families with disabilities in finding answers to their questions. Where and how to get equipment, specific disability related information and resources, and the correct slope of a wheelchair ramp are all commonly asked questions that we answer on a routine basis. Each ILC office maintains a reference library and has access to the internet to assist in the information gathering. In Homer call 800-770-7911 or 907-235-7911, Central Peninsula 907-262-6333, or Seward 907-224-8711.

Alaska 211
2-1-1 is an easy-to-remember telephone number that connects callers, at no cost, to information about critical health and human services available in communities around Alaska.



The Independent Living Center provides advocacy on both an individual and systems level. On the individual level, we can help you to acquire the services and benefits to which you are entitled. The ILC has staff experienced in advocating on behalf of individuals with disabilities. We have been instrumental in affecting disability policy on both a state and federal level.

Senators and Representatives -
This link is for the convenience of those who wish to contact Alaska state legislators and your national legislators. They are your representatives and senators. They represent you and your interests. You have to tell them what you think is important. You can contact them with your opinions, both your appreciation and your concerns.


Disability Law Center of Alaska - We are an independent non-profit law firm providing legal advocacy for people with disabilities anywhere in Alaska. 


Alaska Legal Services Corporation (ALSC) -  is a private, non-profit law firm that provides free civil legal assistance to low-income Alaskans. 


Client Assistance Program - A place to turn if you are receiving services from the State of Alaska Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Tribal Vocational Rehabilitation or Centers for independent Living and you have questions or are confused about your rights. 


Skills Training

The Independent Living Center offers skills training to both individuals and groups. ILC staff can assist in training to use different technology, to learn budgeting skills, work skills, self advocacy skills and other areas of independent living.



Peer Support

Independent Living is based on a peer to peer model.  Individuals with disabilities can understand and support the experience of disability more than a person without a disability.   A caregiver can understand the experience of care giving more than someone who has never had that experience.  The majority of staff working at the ILC experience disabilities themselves and many have family members who expereince disabilities.  The majority of the policy making body, the Board of Directors of ILC, experience disabilities. We all have the shared experience of disability. 

In addition each ILC office has listings of all the different support groups held in their communities.  If you are need of a group that is not formed in your community, please call your local ILC office and we can help facilitate your group. We can also help you find support and resources on the web. 


Nursing Home Transition

All individuals, regardless of age or disability, want to choose where to live.  Most individuals choose to live in their homes and communities until it is no longer possible or safe to do so.  The Independent Living Center assists individuals and families to transition from long-term care or nursing homes back to their homes and communities to ensure the move is as problem-free as possible.  We can assist with the actual transition and continue to provide advocacy and service coordination to ensure that the individual receives the services to which he or she are entitled.

Call the ILC office nearest you: 

Homer (907)235-7911 or 1-800-770-7911
Central Peninsula (907)262-6333
Seward (907)224-8711
Kodiak and Valdez/Cordova Census Area  (907)235-7911 or 1-800-770-7911

Aging and Disability Resource Centers

   Empowering Alaskans to make informed choices about long term services. 


Alaska’s ADRCs connect seniors, people with disabilities, and caregivers with long-term supports of their choice.  We can assist you in the following ways:


  • By exploring your options for long term services.
  • By providing you with unbiased, appropriate resources and contacts.
  • By assisting you with locating and coordinating services.
  • By offering personal and confidential one-on-one guidance/ Options Counseling.
  • By following up with you to ensure your needs are met.


Alaska's ADRCs are part of a federal effort to help people more easily access the long-term supports available in their communities. The ADRC network serves Alaskans state-wide, regardless of age or income level, through regional sites. Independent Living Center has responsibility for Region V of Alaska which includes the Kenai Peninsula, Valdez/Cordova Census Area and the Matanuska Susitna Borough.  Contact information:

   State-wide- 1-877-625-2372 

   Central Peninsula- 907-262-6333 or 1-877-6AK-ADRC (1-877-625-2372)

   Homer- 907-235-7911 or 1-800-770-7911

   Seward- 907-224-8711


The following are links of ILC's ADRC Partners throughout Region V:

Alaska 211
2-1-1 is an easy-to-remember telephone number that connects callers, at no cost, to information about critical health and human services available in communities around Alaska.

Alaska State ADRC Map

Kenai Peninsula National Family Caregiver Support Program - administered by Soldotna Area Senior Citizens, Inc., is a non-profit program that promotes the health and well-being of family caregivers.

State of Alaska Senior & Disability Services - Services for Seniors, Adults with Physical Disabilities and Seniors on Medicaid Waivers, Persons with Developmental Disabilities, Vulnerable Adults and Assisted Living Providers.

Alzheimers Disease Resource Agency of Alaska - Alaska’s resource on Alzheimer’s disease, the Alzheimer’s Disease Resource Agency of Alaska (ADRAA) is committed to providing information, education and services for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders (ADRD) and their caregivers.

Eldercare Locator - A public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging. The Eldercare Locator is your first step for finding local agencies, in every U.S. community, that can help older persons and their families access home and community-based services.

 Seward Senior Center

 Kenai Senior Center

 Homer Senior Center

 Senior Citizens of Kodiak  


Anchor Point Senior Center - Phone Number: (907) 235-7786 Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it  


Soldotna Senior Center, Inc - Phone Number: (907) 262-2322 Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it


Ninilchik Senior Center - Phone Number: (907) 567-3988


Nikiski Senior Center - Phone Number: (907) 776-7654 


Sterling Senior Center - Phone Number: (907) 262-6808



Low Vision Services

The Independent Living Center provides services to Alaskans who are experiencing blindness or vision loss. We can facilitate getting an individualized evaluation to recommend various low vision aids, orientation and mobility training, home and lighting modifications, and other resources to help you live more independently within your home.  ILC staff can also assist in finding resources to purchase your low vision aids. Each office has a variety of equipment that can be borrowed and rented before you purchase your own.

Click here for "Resources for glasses, exams and AT" brochure

Click here for "Web links" brochures

Call the ILC office nearest you:

Homer (907)235-7911 or 1-800-770-7911

Central Peninsula (907)262-6333

Seward (907)224-8711

Kodiak and Valdez/Cordova Census Area  (907)235-7911 or 1-800-770-7911.


Assistive Technolgy & Community Closets

The Independent Living Center maintains an extensive inventory of new and used equipment for rent, loan, or sale in our Community Closets. Items include mobility devices such as crutches, canes, walkers, and manual and power wheelchairs. We also have bathroom safety equipment, grab bars, environmental controls, adaptive recreation gear and various devices specifically for people experiencing hearing loss and/or vision loss.  If you have equipment to donate or need a piece of equipment immediately, call the office nearest to you:

   Homer (907)235-7911 or 1-800-770-7911

   Central Peninsula (907)262-6333

   Seward (907)224-8711

   Kodiak and Valdez/Cordova Census Area  (907)235-7911 or 1-800-770-7911

In the Central Peninsula you can check out our AT Demonstration Site.  We have higher end technolgy that is available to try before you buy.

Assistive Technology Library of Alaska (ATLA) - Assistive Technology Products and Service... Innovative solutions for all Alaskans.

Alaska Assistive Technology Trading Post - A free service from the Assistive Technology Partnership. Once you have set up an account, you can list your own assistive technology items for sale or giveaway.
Assistive Technology.TV - an excellent AT Resource

Handi-Ramp - An extensive line of ramps for the home, van, and special applications.

Alaska Stair Lift and Scooter Supply - An extensive line of stair lifts, platform lifts, vehicle lifts, scooters and supplies, and hand controls.

Sport Aid - A large selection of everyday, sports and manual wheelchairs and wheelchair accessories.

Spinlife - Discount manual, power, and lift chairs, hand-cycles, and walking mobility aids.

Lasher Sport Custom Wheelchairs - Custom made in Anchorage, Alaska, for the chair user who knows what they need in a manual chair. A full line of everyday, sport, and off-road wheelchairs.


Housing Modification

The Independent Living Center provides information and assistance on accessibility for residences and businesses. We have experience with residential modifications that are tailored to the individual's needs. We know from personal experience that specifications spelled out in the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG) do not always work for individuals in their own homes. We will work with you to find the right design to provide the maximum accessibility in your home. Here are some links to resources for funding housing modifications.

For those needing temporary access to your home, ILC has purchased and distributed 16 foot portable ramps in communities throughout our Region.  The following link is a list of the locations and partner agencies - Ramp Locations. 


Checklist for Residential Accessibility - drawings included in this document are from the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG) and are intended to provide the maximum amount of accessibility to the largest number of people.


Home Modification Resources List - This is a list of potential resources for home modifications.


ADA Technical Assistance

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was signed into law by President George H. W. Bush on July 26th, 1990 and is the civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities. Justin Dart, Jr. is considered the primary advocate from the disability community responsible for the passage of the ADA. Disability is defined under the ADA as "a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity." The ADA is divided into 5 Titles: Title I covers Employment, Title II covers State & Local Government, Title III covers Public Accommodations, Title IV covers Telecommunications, and Title V covers Miscellaneous Technical Provisions.

The Independent Living Center can provide information, resources and technical assistance regarding the various ADA rights of persons with disabilities and responsibilities of business.

The following links provide more extensive detail of the ADA:

Americans with Disabilities Act - 1990 Civil Rights law defining discrimination based on disability as a violation of Federal Law.

Rehabilitation Act of 1973 - Provides for the formation of State Divisions of Vocational Rehabilitation, Center for Independent Living, and State Independent Living Councils. This is th first mention of people with disabilities as a separate and distinct class or group of Americans. The law prohibits discrimination against persons with disabilites by entities receiving Federal money... state and local governments.

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) - Provides for the education of children with disabilities in the most integrated setting appropriate to their needs.

Fair Housing Act - Prohibits discrimination based on disability in housing rental and sales. The act contains accessibility requirements for new residential construction.



The Independent Living Center has developed a supported transportation program using private cab companies, Alaska Department of Transportation and Alaska Mental Health Trust Authority funding to provide affordable and accessible transportation for elders and persons experiencing disabilities.  Eligible riders purchase reduced fare vouchers from their local ILC office and redeem them for rides with participating cab companies.  Riders use their vouchers to go to work, to doctors' visits, for shopping, recreation or wherever they choose to go in their community.

Call the ILC office nearest you;

Homer 800-770-7911 or (907)235-7911 

Central Peninsula (907)262-6333 

Seward (907)224-8711



For updated and current TRAILS information visit the TRAILS Website:

T.R.A.I.L.S. — Total Recreation And Independent Living Services — is responsible for recreation programs that are designed to support individuals with disabilities. Everyone wants to participate in recreation activities with friends and family. Our programs include people of all abilities and interests. We ski, hike, fish, kayak, raft, cook (and eat!), play cards, watch movies, take college and community schools classes, paint, garden, celebrate holidays together, snowshoe, make dream catchers, go to the Alaska State Fair and whatever else strikes our fancy! Give us a call and help us plan activities that YOU want to join.

T.R.A.I.L.S. has four main components:

Public Awareness and Special Events

Technical Assistance & Education

Adaptive Equipment

Recreation/Leisure Programs



Contact the Homer Office-(800) 770-7911 or (907) 235-7911

  Central Peninsula-(907) 262-6333 

  Seward-(907) 224-8711



The Independent Living Center can assist you to reach your career goal. Working with the Alaska Division of Vocational Rehabilitation and Tribal Vocational Rehabilitation, we can help you identify a vocational goal and what services you may need to achieve your goal. ILC staff is certified to provide benefits analysis and counseling and can help you navigate State and Federal benefits systems when you begin work. If you have questions you can call the office nearest you: Homer (907)235-7911 or 1-800-770-7911, Central Peninsula (907)262-6333, Seward (907)224-8711, Kodiak and Valdez/Cordova Census Area  (907)262-6333.


Work Incentives allow a person to work and continue to receive Social Security, Public Assistance and Medicaid and Medicare.

* Are you receiving disability benefits?

* Are you interested in working full time or even part time?

* Are you working with the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation or Tribal Vocational Rehabilitation?

* Did you know you are always better off financially working?

 * Did you know Social Security offers work incentives designed to test your ability to work?

* Did you know you can continue to receive benefit payments even when you are working and earning money?

 * Did you know you can keep Medicaid coverage indefinitely after you begin to work and earn money?

Social Security offers work incentives to people who are receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). If you have any questions PLEASE call the Homer office of the ILC at 907-235-7911 or 800-770-7911 and speak with Joyanna or the Central Peninsula office and speak with Jennifer at 907-262-6333. We can answer your specific questions.

Social security red book-  A summary guide to employment supports for individuals with disabilities under the Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income programs. - Job information, career information, and resources.

Alaska Division of Vocational Rehabilitation  - Providing vocational services to individuals who experience disability.

U. S. Department of Labor and Training Administration - Employment resources for both job seekers and employers.

U. S. Department of Labor/Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP)- More employment resources from the Department of Labor.

Small Business Administration - Resource for those thinking about self-employment as a vocational goal.

Small Business Development Center - Providing small business owners with business planning services, marketing information, and counseling.

Kenai Peninsula Economic Development District - Providing small business planning services, business incubation services, and "gap" loans for the small business owner.

Job Accommodation Network - Cooperative site between the U. S. government and the University of West Virginia providing information about reasonable accommodation in the workplace.

aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.